Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences

International students


Further Information

UWA information for International students

Supervised research degrees at UWA

For international students, two categories of postgraduate medical training are available:

  1. Specialist medical training
  2. Postgraduate research

Specialist medical training

Postgraduate specialist training is administered by individual hospitals in conjunction with the Medical Board of Western Australia. You will need to assure the Board that:

  • you have completed basic specialisation in your chosen area of study in your home country;
  • you are looking for training to enable you to become a specialist in a specific component in this area; and
  • the training is not available in your home country.

Training visa

If these criteria are satisfied, you may be eligible to apply for a training visa, to enter Australia specifically for training.

A number of conditions need to be fulfilled before this visa is issued, for example:

  • a training position must be arranged in Australia: and
  • the trainee must be financially independent.

If you are able to provide these assurances, contact Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship should be contacted to confirm all visa details.


Postgraduate research

You may be eligible to undertake non-clinical research work in medicine in the Master of Medical Science or Doctor of Philosophy.

If you are interested in these or other Faculty research courses:

Back to top