The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry was established on 1 January 1994 when the two separate Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry were combined into one academic and resourcing body.
The Faculty of Medicine was initially established in 1956. The medical course is undertaken at the Crawley campus of the University, the Claremont Community Health Centre, and in 10 public and private hospitals across the Perth metropolitan area.
Under the Medical Act, practice in this State is restricted to those registered by the Medical Board of Western Australia. Medical graduates of this University must complete 12 months of supervised training under its temporary registration – six months in Medicine and six months in Surgery, with casualty service counting towards either, before they may qualify for the full registration which permits private practice.
Western Australian hospitals responsible for the training of graduates under temporary registration are Royal Perth Hospital, Fremantle Hospital, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and Hollywood Private Hospital.
The Faculty of Dentistry, originally named the Faculty of Dental Science, was established in 1946. Teaching is undertaken at the Crawley campus of the University, in the Oral Health Centre of Western Australia complex at the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, and at Princess Margaret Hospital for Children. The holder of the degree of Bachelor of Dental Science of The University of Western Australia is qualified to practise in any Australian state and New Zealand.
By Act of Parliament only those registered with the Dental Board of Western Australia may practise in this State.