Students and supervisors need to consider carefully their respective roles in the process and develop clear communication.
Responsibilities of students
- Meet with supervisors regularly (at least every two weeks).
- Communicate proactively, clearly and raise issues early.
- Work independently between meetings.
- Follow advice of supervisor/s.
- Approach their work with enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Produce written material which has been reviewed carefully by the student.
- Read the relevant literature critically.
Responsibilities of supervising staff
- Available for regular meetings.
- Provide feedback to students on written work in reasonable time.
- Be constructively critical.
- Be open and supportive.
- Assist students in understanding the research area.