Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences


Doctor in fromt of file with patient's records

Graduates seeking registration must apply to the appropriate board. 

Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery graduates

Practice in WA is restricted to those registered by the Medical Board of Western Australia.

Medical graduates of UWA must complete 12 months of supervised training under its temporary registration – six months in Medicine and six months in Surgery, with casualty service counting towards either, before they may qualify for the full registration which permits private practice.

Hospitals in WA responsible for the training of graduates under temporary registration are:

Graduates seeking registration must apply to the Registrar, Medical Board of Western Australia, 5 Ord Street, West Perth 6005.

Bachelor of Dentistry graduates

The holder of the degree of Bachelor of Dental Science from UWA is qualified to practice in any Australian state and New Zealand, as well as under the General Dental Council of Great Britain.

Teaching is undertaken at the Crawley campus of the University, in the Oral Health Centre of Western Australia complex at the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, and at Princess Margaret Hospital for Children.

Under State laws, only those registered with the Dental Board of Western Australia may practise in this State. Candidates for registration must apply to the Registrar, Dental Board of Western Australia, 15 Rheola Street, West Perth, 6005.

Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine graduates

Graduates of the Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine degree from UWA can register with the Podiatry Board of Australia as a podiatrist.

The degree is also recognised by other Australian states and territories, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.