Dr. Marian Sturm
Area of Expertise
Area of interest is the development and clinical translation of the emerging biotherapies, including cell therapies and tissue constructs. Specific interest is in bone marrow derived mesenchymal stromal cells for the treatment of immune disorders and the development of chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cells for the treatment of cancer, in particular leukemia and lymphoma. Expertise is in the clinical manufacturing of therapeutic goods for clinical administration in compliance with the Australian Therapeutic Goods Act and TGA licensing.
- Daniel Chambers, Debra Enerver, Sharon Lawrence, Marian Sturm, Richard Herrmann, Stephanie Yerkovich, Michael Musk, Peter Hopkins. Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Therapy for Chronic Lung Allograft Dysfunction - Results of a First-In Man Study. Stem Cells Translational Medicine 2017, 6:1152-1157.
- Geoffrey M Forbes, Marian J Sturm, Rupert W Leong, Miles P Sparrow, Dev Segaralasingam, Adrian G Cummins, Michael Phillips, Richard P Herrmann. A Phase 2 Study of Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stromal Cells for Luminal Crohn's Disease Refractory to Biologic Therapy. Clin Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2014, 12:64-71.
- Richard Herrmann, Kathryn Shaw, Marian Sturm, Paul Cannel, Julian Cooney, Duncan Purtill, Matthew Wright. Mesenchymal stromal cell therapy for steroid-refractory acute and chronic graft versus host disease, a phase I study. Int J Haem 2012, 95 (2), 182-188.
- S.S. Venugopal, W.F. Yan, J.W. Frew, H.I. Cohn, L.M. Rhodes, K. Tran, W. Melbourne, J. Nelson, M. Sturm, J. Fogarty, P. Marinkovic, S. Igawa, A. Ishida-Yamamoto, D. F. Murrell. A Phase II ransomised vehicle-controlled trial of intradermal allogeneic fibroblasts for recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (RDEB). JAAD 2013, 69 (6) 898-908.
Publications with CCTRM byline
- Yuben Moodley, Marian Sturm, Kathryn Shaw, Chiko Shimbon, Dino Tan, Martin Kolb, Ruth Graham. Human mesenchymal stem cells attenuate early damage in a ventilated pig model of acute lung injury. Stem Cell Research 2016, 17 (1): 25-31.
- David Morrison, Alan Kop, Anastasia Nilasaroya, Marian Sturm, Kathryn Shaw, Stephen Honeybul. Cranial reconstruction using allogeneic mesenchymal stromal cells: a phase 1 first-in-human trial. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. Accepted May 2017.
Recent Grant Successes
- RPH Medical Research Foundation 2017
- SHRAC WA Health 2016
- WA Cancer & Palliative Care Network Cancer Fellowship 2016
- NHMRC co-investigator 2016-2020
- RPH Medical Research Foundation 2012-2015
Back to top