Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences

How to apply


Students seeking admission to research-only postgraduate courses (Master's and PhD) may apply at any time of the year. There are several steps to take:

  1. Contact the Faculty or School
  2. Lodge an application
  3. School recommendation
  4. Approval, offer and enrolment

Contact the Faculty or School

Contact a Graduate Research Coordinator in the appropriate school to get all the information you need related to the specific area of research. Where possible, you should consult the appropriate Graduate Research Coordinator about the availability of supervision for the proposed field of study before lodging a formal application.

Consult UWA's Research Publications and Expertise for information on appropriate supervisors at UWA. You may also like to read the profiles of some of our Research Leaders, who you may be interested in working with as a supervisor. It is often useful to prepare a brief (maximum 250 words) outline of the proposed area of study to discuss with a prospective supervisor.

Back to top

Lodge an application

This applies to all applicants including current UWA students.

Applicants who are citizens/permanent residents of Australia should forward two copies of the Application for Postgraduate Study and Postgraduate Research Supplementary Form to the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office.

Scholarship applications

There is a different application process for Australian citizens and permanent residents applying for scholarships in the Australian and University Postgraduate Awards application round. In this case, applicants should complete the online application form on the Scholarships website.

There are different application processes according to whether you will be a full-fee paying student or you are applying for a UWA scholarship.

Full-fee paying applications

Private self-supporting students, students who are sponsored by their home government, university or employer, applicants with external scholarships and all other applicants for full-fee admission should complete the postgraduate research application form below and attach a brief research outline (1-2 pages) and details of any publications in learned journals or copies of any published papers, if available.

International Scholarship applications

There is a different application process for students applying for International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS), Scholarships for International Research Fees (SIRF) and UWA China Scholarships.

Back to top